I was yelled at for not using "L" glass.

Started Apr 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,513Gear list
Like?
not about an L lens.
In reply to nullvector, Apr 16, 2012

I was shooting the setup below at an overlook at the GC South Rim and a dude and his gal were behind me and she was muttered an insult about me needing two cameras or some such. They were "shooting" some sort of palm size compact so I felt it beneath me to engage them in witty banter. However, I think I detected some sort of defense mechanism in the tone of the gal suggesting she was fending off attempts by the dude to upgrade to better equipment.

nullvector wrote:

So I'm at this car show this weekend with my Canon 7D, and 17-55 2.8 IS....and while innocently taking pictures of some cars, I hear some buffoon yell really loud "GET A BETTER LENS!".

I turn around to see what the commotion was, and here is this guy, looking right at me, with some sort of obvious and unexplained disdain for my equipment. It appears that he is holding a 5D of some variant, and a 24-70L.

I calmly said, "well, this lens is about a thousand bucks, so it can't be all that bad". I think he had clearly mistaken my lens for an 18-55, or something like that, and all he managed to stammer out was....."WELL ITS NOT AN L LENS".

All I could really do was say "it doesnt really matter", and walk off.

Anyone else had someone do this or something similar? My wife was dumbfounded by the rudeness of this individual, and I was just shocked at how uninformed this guy was.

Just thought it would be good to vent here, and see if anyone has any stories that are equally as outrageous.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, photography never for sale, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow