Started Apr 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rebecca93
Regular MemberPosts: 130
Like?
My pictures were soft with my first L lens & 7D
Apr 16, 2012

Yep couldn't focus correctly at all. I kept practicing and adjusting my settings and nothing was working. Portraits, wildlife, and action shots all suffered the same problem. Soft hazy pictures. I could tell that the canon ef 70-300L had better colors, brokeh, and contrast than my ef-s 55-250mm but the focus issue was driving me crazy! Finally when I was just about to blame it on my gear and send the lens back I googled 7D af issues and found several things I was doing wrong.

1. Using AI servo for portraits. On a slow lens like the 55-250 I could get away with it but with the ultrasonic motor of the new lens, focus was being thrown off cause the lens was trying to figure out what I wanted to track maybe the ear or how about the shoulder?

2. Heavier lens ment I was having a harder time keeping the focus point on the moving target. Switching to Zone AF or expansion solved that issue.

3. I just finished up kids sports season and was used to taking pictures where they told me I could stand not where the sun was in the sky. Moving so that the sun was behind me and shinning on my subject provided much better pictures and beautiful creamy brokeh.

4. Most important and found in two BIF blogs on how to set up the 7D menu. C.FN III autofocus/drive. Changed tracking sensitity to slow instead of fast. HUGE DIFFERENCE!! Again faster lens so focus was adapting quicker than I could follow the bird (or kids).

In summary 7D 70-300mm L Awsome combination. Me the photographer... serious quality control issues
--
Rebecca

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow