Started Apr 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Elite83
Contributing MemberPosts: 831Gear list
Like?
Telescoping macro extension tube?
Apr 16, 2012

I was playing around with macro photography the other day by using a piece of rolled up black construction paper by using it as a extension tube for my Vivitar 75-300 tele.

That got me to thinking, why don't they sell/how hard would it be to make a telescoping, or adjustable extension tube for macro photography? I realize it's uses the same principal as a bellows, but bellows are so bulky and expensive. And using 'regular' extension tubes require setting a fixed distance between the lens and camera, and if you want to change it you have to remove everything and add or replace other tubes etc. etc. resulting in so much more work. Plus, if you're in a dusty environment it means exposing the sensor more times.

So you know how those legacy zoom/telephoto lenses work? How you slide them straight in or out to increase or decrease magnification? Why couldn't they invent an adjustable, or telescoping macro extension tube that used the same mechanical design? Only, without the glass elements. So for example, if they made a 3-inch extension tube, it could slide out to roughly 6 inches, you see what I mean?

I must be overlooking something... or a product like this would already exist, am I correct?

Elite83's gear list:Elite83's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow