Started Apr 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sutto
Regular MemberPosts: 344
Like?
X100/Pro1 owners - don't rush out and sell your D700/D3/D3s/5Dll
Apr 16, 2012

I know there is a lot of hype around at the moment regarding the Pro1 and its virtues. For those like me who have to lug a professional DSLR halfway around the world – it is very tempting to ditch the ‘brick’ and carry around something that weighs 1/3rd the weight, with all three lenses.

I do not own the Pro1, but I do own the X100. I have often been tempted to leave the D700 with 80-200 2.8 IFED, behind in the hotel and only carry the X100 – and many times I have done that. Many of the pic’s I have used on the website have been taken with the X100, it is a marvelous little camera, and it allows me to carry only one DSLR, and use the X100 as my ‘wide angle lens’.

The reason I am writing this thread is because I am concerned with some of the comments I have read recently. Many guys have commented that they are going to sell their DSLR now, and just use the Pro1/X100 for everything. I really feel that when the dust settles, and the hype has died down, that they may truly regret that decision. I don’t know about you guys, but money is not easily come by these days (well for me anyway). Whenever we sell or buy new kit, we always take a big hit. I am worried that many people will sell their near-new DSLR and lenses, for a big loss, then when the dust has settled they will regret it, and have to go and buy new kit.

I can only speak from my experience as a semi pro, who travels Sth East Asia six months a year taking fine-art/environmental portraits/street pic’s. As mentioned, I am very pleased with the X100, and the freedom it gives – BUT IT WILL NEER REPLACE MY D700. When I need instant focus, high iso’s or bigger than normal enlargements - when I need my breath taken away at the sharpness of a pic wide open (my 80-200 IFED shot at 2.8), or the knowledge that in a darkened area, when I have one shot at focus and a split second to get it – then I know I my D700 will always ‘bring home the bacon’. From my experience, I do not have that 100% confidence in the X100 – as yet anyway. It is a great camera, but only as a companion for my DSLR.

Please don’t think I am starting a DSLR vs Mirror-less camera war – I am not. This is not a Fuji vs DSLR slanging match so I am not looking for an argument. I have both systems and they each have their job to do and their specific pros and cons. However, I just really want people to step back and take a breath, before they sell off all of their expensive pro kit. The X100 is liberating, I love it when I head outside and know I will not come back with shoulder strain. However, there are times when I don’t care about the weight – I need the shot and I know that my D700 will always deliver.

Sutto
http://www.philipsuttonphotography.com

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow