X100 metering is incredibly slow at times, solutions?

Started Apr 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Photohobbyfun
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364
Like?
X100 metering is incredibly slow at times, solutions?
Apr 16, 2012

So after reading about the X-Pro1 only being a slight improvement over the X100, I decided to go for an X100, especially after hearing people rave about the latest firmware updates.

I'm disappointed to say that I'm not thrilled with the speed of the X100. My point and shoot XZ-1 is still faster.

The thing that's caught me off guard though is that the autofocus speed outdoors is slower than indoors! I really couldn't understand this the first few days I had the camera because sometimes the autofocus would lock on fast and sometimes it was dog slow. There was plenty of contrast in the pictures so I just couldn't understand what was going on.

Then I started zone focusing the camera to get off fast street shots and I then understood what was going on, the metering system was the issue, not the autofocus.

Maybe people haven't caught on to this because most people stick to autofocus but I'm very surprised this issue hasn't been brought up more here in the forums and in reviews.

Basically, what I've discovered is that the issue appears in high contrast areas. If I have the camera set to aperture priority, and manual focus, I can point the camera to the ground and get instant metering because its low contrast. As soon as I bring the camera up where you have a bright sky against buildings, people, etc. the metering slows to a crawl. Same issue if I turn on autofocus. If I point to an area that has a homogenous distribution of light in the frame, the autofocus and metering are fast. Point the camera at a high contrast area and the autofocus feels very slow, although now I know its not the autofocus but the metering.

I do have OVF power save turned off and the latest firmware, 1.21. So I'm not sure if there's some setting I'm missing. I'll have to experiment more by trying spot and center weighted metering to see if those are faster. I'll try setting the camera to raw only as well. I'm wondering if the camera does some JPEG processing as its metering the scene.

Anybody have any tips or something I'm overseeing to get the camera to react faster? And those with the X-Pro1. Is the metering system faster?

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow