Are there any DSLRs at the X-Pro1's price-point with equivalent image quality?

Started Apr 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
jwalker019
Senior MemberPosts: 2,588Gear list
Like?
Re: Are there any DSLRs at the X-Pro1's price-point with equivalent image quality?
In reply to rosskoss, Apr 15, 2012

rosskoss wrote:

Lets keep this simple and restrict to APS-C Canon/Nikon DSLRs with commonly available lenses. Yes, the X-Pro1 is not the most intuitive, is somewhat quirky and has performance issues, but when it comes to IQ, I've not seen better photos anywhere. It's truly something special.

BTW, I'm not a current XP1 owner...just a prospective buyer trying to juggle the IQ, feature-list, performance and bang-for-the-buck equation. The other camera that I'm considering and actually more attracted to is the OM-D however, IQ doesn't seem as good as XP1, especially at higher ISOs. And as the title indicates, I haven't completely ruled out DSLRs.

From what I've seen, any of the current generation of Canon / Nikon entry-level DSLRs are easily the equivalent of the XP1 in the IQ department. They're all very good.

That said, you're paying for size / portability with the XP1. I use a Nikon D3 and also have several smaller cameras - haven't yet found a smaller camera that comes close to the image quality I get with the D3 (to say nothing of the D4 / D800, i.e., current Nikon full frames). Still looking :/

-- hide signature --
 jwalker019's gear list:jwalker019's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow