Started Apr 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mike in london
Senior MemberPosts: 1,327Gear list
Like?
Alient Bees strobes reliability and alternatives? UK based
Apr 15, 2012

Been doing some research on light weight strobes for location shooting (mainly outside but 20% outside) to help save my back and have come to the conclusion that the best option is the Alien Bees range. I shoot events indoors (mains power - 500-800 shots per shoot) and some portraits outdoors (low volume all environmental)

They are very light and powerful and have proper modelling lights and a battery option for outdoor.

Other brands I have considered are: Elinchrom Quadra, Lencarta Safari, Strobeam DL250 MKIII and Bowens

I was going to get the Strobeams but would miss the modelling light, and now you can get the AB's in the UK I am tempted, but I dont know anyone who has used them so know nothing about their reliability, durability and performance in the real world.

Are AB's radio triggers good or are you better getting a 3rd party one like Pocket wizards?

Can anyone give me some feedback on using AB's and are there any good options I have missed?

Cheers

Mike
--
http://www.mikecurryphotography.com

mike in london's gear list:mike in london's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow