ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jquagga
Contributing MemberPosts: 595
Like?
A first dedicated DSLR camera bag
Apr 15, 2012

Happy weekend everyone,

So yesterday I went walking around the city like I normally do with my DSLR, lens and tripod. It's a D5100, 4 lenses, and a Benro travel angel. How I have been moving these things about is putting a Crumpler Haven inside of a Patagonia messenger bag. It works .. okish. The tripod has to be put on the bottom so to get it in or out I have to pull out the haven, the blower, flash, etc, etc. It's not the best setup. However the bigger issue is what this configuration does to my poor back!

So I'm contemplating getting an actual photo backpack. This is a different tack for me as I normally prefer messenger style bags (read: I dream of a thinkTank retrospective). However, with this much weight and going on 5-7 mile hikes I think a two strap system (and something I'm able to strap a tripod too) would be a plus. I'd also like water resistance and potentially a rain cover. I'm not planning on getting "bigger" with my kit. I favor smaller cameras, also have a mirrorless system, etc. So I don't need supercargo, but I'd like to carry my kit now without snapping some bones. I need a bag to haul this kit when I need "the big kit". The m43 system fits in my pants but sometimes you need a tripod ...

Right now I'm looking at the Crumpler Karachi Outpost (S). It has the "I'm not a camera bag look" which I favor and it appears you can snap the tripod to the back. Thinktank makes the streetwalker, but I'm not a big fan of the aesthetics of the bag. And it appears a bit big bulky. I'm open to other brands as well but don't really want to go too much over $200. And given that it is starting to heat up down here for the summer, any experience in how it is to have one of these things strapped on your back in the summer heat would be helpful.

One other thing that concerns me is that once I get the camera out and am working with it, I usually have it on a blackrapid strap. I'm not sure how that's going to work or be interfered from a backpack's straps.

So, any experiences with these or thoughts?

TL;DR: Camera backpack less than $200 for DSLR that holds tripod and does not cause heat exhaustion. Anti-grav system a plus.

Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow