E-M5 has DR 13!

Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,845Gear list
Like?
perhaps people 'so confidently' looking for DxO results
In reply to amalric, Apr 15, 2012

amalric wrote:

DxO gives the E-P3 10.1 EV at 200 ISO so it's the same. I haven't compared curves but P. Potka did.

Now the difference with TR's test is that for the first time we see the comparison of the OM-D with both the NEX-7 and the Pro 1, and the E-P3 in Tiff .

Therefore I argue that there is no ISO underrating effect, otherwise DxO would have given the E-P3 a worse rating:

well Im not sure that would be all that relevant in a discussion about DR at base ISO anyway, so perhaps bits of it can wait

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Database/Olympus/PEN-EP3

ok thanks

Note also that SNR curves show that the E-M5 has very little noise, which in turn is confirmed both by comparative samples at DPR, and other samples from the field at TR and other sites. The E-M5 has terrific detail.

How can this be debunked I don't know. So far what I saw is pathetic, therefore I quoted the Fuji forum. But even m4/3 is not brilliant

well Im sure I dont know either, but I did find this

http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/noise-and-dynamic-range-results-explained-1027588

We shoot our noise and dynamic range chart at every available sensitivity (ISO) setting and analyse the images using DxO Analyzser software. The software measures the signal and the noise that makes up the image and gives a Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) value. The higher the SNR reading, the cleaner the image signal and the lower the noise value.

A high SNR is generally better than a low SNR. However, a high SNR at high sensitivities can sometime be attributed to in-camera noise reduction and image smoothing, which can destroy detail.

Our noise and dynamic range chart, is supplied by DXO and it's made up of a series of pure optical glass filters with a range of neutral densities mounted in a thick plastic plate. The chart is held on a purpose-made light box that produces diffuse, uniform illumination.

Using a glass target avoids the lighting problems and inconsistencies that are often associated with printed charts for assessing dynamic range. The glass also removes the issue of media texture that can create issues for accurate noise measurement with printed targets.

Our test laboratory is set up following DxO guidelines and images of the chart are assessed using the DxO Analyzer software to generate signal to noise ratio (SNR) and dynamic range values across a camera's full sensitivity range - for both raw and JPEG images. If the software is not compatible with a camera's raw files we convert them to TIFF format and analyse these images. We only compare files of the same format, JPEGs with JPEGs, raw with raw and TIFF with TIFF.

quote /

perhaps people 'so confidently' looking for DxO results
already have them......

Am.
--
Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/amalric

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow