I'm bored. Let's do some pixel peeping:-)

Started Apr 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
NoRules
Contributing MemberPosts: 886
Like?
Re: I'm bored. Let's do some pixel peeping:-)
In reply to yellodog, Apr 15, 2012

Thanks for comments, and no, this is not a serious test, just some harmless fun.

The lens I tested was the Angenieux 70-210 zoom, which has an extremely high center sharpness at 90mm, almost on par with Leica Summicron 90mm at f.3.5. But this, on the 5D II is a very big and heavy rig. I was just wondering how close to this the FZ could get if I used every trick in the book.

What I did was the folowing: The FZ150 has a fantastic effective IS. You can easily hold the camera on 25-90mm as if it was mounted on a tripod, no movement what so ever. The second thing the FZ can do, is to take 11 RAW full size images in a second. You see where this is going?-)

In Adobe Camera Raw I enlarge the images to 6100x4500 resolution (equals 28MP or something) and sharpen them absurdley much, and remove all noise reduction. Then I copy all images as layers on the first one in Photoshop, and choose "auto align" in the edit menu. Then each layer must have a different opacity, following this formula: 100% 50% 33% 25% 20% 17% 14% 12,5% 11% 10% 9%, for each individual layer. Then I reduce the image to Canon's 21MP output and sharpen.
It did not take me more than 10 minutes to do all this.

Thanks to some unique propertys of this fantastic little camera, handheld image stacking in RAW is a definately possibility, if one is in desperately need of a large image file, and is up the creek without ones favorite tool

Oh, almost forgot ... The FZ150 is on the left. It has more noise and less micro contrast in the big sample. In a real life situation, on a print, or on the web, you will probably not see the difference. Hence the posting of the 50% crop.

Feel free to comment further ...
--
Free your mind, and your camera will follow...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow