Canada ranks as the fifth happiest country

Started Apr 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Christoph Stephan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,653Gear list
Like?
Re: Fynbos; impact on non-native speices
In reply to Paljas, Apr 15, 2012

I would assume that the scientist themselves "control" the decisions entirely in the rearest of ocassions; indeed especially conservation scientists (or conservationists in general) usually have to make a lots of compromises especially when their goals interfere with economic goals. Even here in "rich Europe" conservation sadly often has to compromise over other economic priorities.

A national park has been set up be the democratic decision of society,for the reason to preserve the biodiverstity; job of its managers is to make sure these goals are acheived. While they have studied ecological science, their prime role now is to achive this goal: I think they should have the freedom to decide what is best to achieve the preservation of speices according to the current stand of science, and the role of scientists (ecologists) is to further assist them in these decisions (as the agricultural extension service of universities and state departments assists farmers).

Science is intertwined with society. I think that the accusation that scientists take position and influence decisions - what ecologists have been accused of extensively by "Jorghino" - is also true for other branches of sience: nuclear phyisicists are involved in the construction of reactors; agricultural science in general has made possible and promoted the mechanisation and intensification of agriculture which has brought many speices to the brink of extinction, but also helped to fight world hunger (while it has sometimes ecacerbated economic inequality). Often, science projects are co-funded be industry and therefore geared towards application of results for a certain (commercial) goal. This type of funding is actually encouraged in many countires to aid competitveness of industry.

I would be interested about the people you discussed these conservation issues; where that scientists, people involved in the manegement of conservation areas, or interested laymen. What did they say?

You live in the Fynbos area - from what I see I understand that you feel blessed. It would be great I you upload some pictures onto your gallery here.
--
Chris
-----
http://christopher363.redbubble.com
http://www.whitewall.com/christopher

Christoph Stephan's gear list:Christoph Stephan's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow