The excellent 14 / 2.5 and the most beautiful tree (environmental portrait)

Started Apr 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Gethenderson
Contributing MemberPosts: 847
Like?
Re: The excellent 14 / 2.5 and the most beautiful tree (environmental portrait)
In reply to forpetessake, Apr 15, 2012

forpetessake wrote:

It's an interesting subject, blurring of the background, tighter composition and making main subject larger would look much better. I also don't think 14mm is a good FL for pictures which involve people or animals, either you make them insignificant or cartoonish.

Another thing I don't understand, why so many people ruin their pictures converting them to monochrome. It very rarely improves the pictures, unless you are trying to convey something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd0ol25uUVU

I think it's best to remind ourselves this is an opinion, personally 28mm I find great for street, it's the focal length you go to for giving a more complete context to a photo.

Black and white is all about tones I think this photo is a good example of that though many are not, as someone else mentioned it also helps minimise distractions in a busy photo and it of course is it's own genre that some people like to maintain still today as it has a great history in photography.

The one that rarely (if ever) improves a photograph is selective colouring, that in my mind is terrible and a short sighted mistake.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow