Started Apr 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
plautoq
plautoq Regular Member • Posts: 118
60D, EF and EF-S lens - differences

Dear DPreviewers...

I'm trying to understand the differences between EF and EF-S lens on a 60D. I took both shots using the same resulting magnification (or as close I think they are quiet similar), and the results are attached.

1. If a 60D has a 1.6x crop factor, shouldn't 50mm on the EF-S be equal to 50mm/1.6 (or 31mm) if I use an EF lens on the same camera ? On the results attached, I'm getting about 42mm and I was expecting to see something around 31mm. Maybe I'm missing something on my math.

2. Unrelated to the magnification issue, the EF-S used is a 15-85 and the EF is a 24-80L. I notice that the EF-S seems sharper than the L, which does not make sense to me either. Do I have to adjust my camera ? I'm seeing the same results (less than sharp images) with a 70-200L on the same 60D.

Thanks a lot for the comments!

plautoq's gear list:plautoq's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4
Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow