Any NEX 3D POP?

Started Apr 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
Re: Any NEX 3D POP?
In reply to wll, Apr 14, 2012

wll wrote:

I don't think a real blurry background helps, I think a little out of focus for separation purposes may be better, just a thought.

wll

That's my opinion as well. I think "pop" is usually made of two things - microcontrast and/or defined subject separation. When you've got both, it's super poppy. I think that the key to good DoF use for "pop" purposes is to have just out of focus enough to differentiate from the subject, but not so out of focus that the subject becomes the only thing in the picture. Obviously there's plenty of use for shots with an obliterated background, but I wouldn't necessarily say they've got "pop."

Lng0004's second shot, with the tree, is an excellent example. Lots of well-done "bokehramas" (I hate that name but it's less horrific than "Brenizer method") like that tend to be quite good at this, actually, as do full-frame cameras using wide, fast glass (i.e. an M9 with a CV 35/1.2). You get this very quick falloff between in-focus and OOF, and that's a big part of what makes images "pop."

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow