Started Apr 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Photonhunter
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
Trying to make sense of NEx7 video settings
Apr 14, 2012

I know this is mainly a photography forum, but I thought I would find some help here.

I am trying to shoot some video for a personal project with the Nex-7. I have a European version of the camera , so my camera does 50p/50i.

When trying to record HD there is a plethora of settings that I am trying to understand. First there is the choice of MP4 or AVCHD. I don´t really understand the difference (else that my Mac won´t read/edit the AVCHD files unless I convert them).

Should I decide to shoot in AVCHD, then the number of options (for a video ignorant as myself) is a bit overwhelming. I don´t even really know what is the difference between 25/50i & 25/50p. Then there is a large number of options for both 50i and 50p (where the difference seems to be the file size or bit rate).

I am lost. Something inside me says, "shoot the highest setting (50p 28M - PS) and then worry about converting after", but this may very well be a wrong approach..

I want to edit this film in BW, so I wonder if I should shoot in BW directly from the camera or shoot color and convert in editing.

Also, I want to shoot a part of the project in a way that I can slow down the action (semi slow-mo) and, the rest, I just want Full-HD quality to be edited in my Mac (iMovie or FCP).

Any input, help, explanations, links would be most appreciated.

Thanks, and excuse my ignorance in this subject.

Best,

E.

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow