Wished the D800 had 4K Video :(

Started Apr 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
braunphotography
Regular MemberPosts: 102Gear list
Like?
Re: Wished the D800 had 4K Video :(
In reply to Wolfgang1756, Apr 14, 2012

Going by the specifications of the Canon 4k DSLR, 4 minutes of 4k video would fill but ONE 64 GB memory card. This alone leaves 4k video all but completely useless for personal/consumer applications.

The world is going to have to turn upside down for any of us to even be able to process, store, and make personal use of our own 4k camera. Even the best compression algorithms aren't going to be able to reduce current (or near future) 4k video by any meaningful amount. A 100 minute long feature film alone would require 1.6 TB of storage.

Can you imagine having to buy a single 3 or 4 TB drive to store but a couple hours of it? Imagine the work a video-card is going to be required to do. Yes, I do realize 4k "capable" video cards ( and even Intel's Ivy Bridge CPU/GPU ) can process & display it, but the proof they can realistically handle 4k24p without burning either one out will be when you can display 2 hours of an action movie with ZERO lag or "hiccups" without needing to put your PC next to its own a/c unit to avoid a remake of Chernobyl.

Let's also remember why ALL the TV manufacturers are set to introduce 4k TV's over the next 18 months, because they want to sell us the "latest and greatest" product to replace the 2k TV's most of us have bought in the last 5 years. In other words, they want to simply make more money off of us. Are you going to buy into the marketing? You don't see online forums filled with "My 2k TV is horrible, I want my 4k TV now!!" comments do you?? Even before the first 2k set was sold, the industry was set to sell us 4k TV's and cameras once they were done making money of our 2k products.

In other words, 4k video is as practical as buying a personal car designed to go 200 MPH. Yes they do exist, but you'd be all but borderline psychotic to do it.

-- hide signature --

Jim
D800 (in my greedy hands)

braunphotography's gear list:braunphotography's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow