Why did you pick the Pentax K5 over the Nikon D7000?

Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
hungryhippo
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Re: Why did you pick the Pentax K5 over the Nikon D7000?
In reply to Edvinas, Apr 14, 2012

Guys thanks for all your feedback. I have no Pentax or Nikon lenses. I'm an amateur looking to learn more about photography and get my feet wet. Through research I have heard D7000 and K5 are the best 2 cameras at my price point and size that I want to deal with.

The photos I'll be taking will be for two primary reasons:

1) Taking pictures of swing dancers (fast moving objects) in limited light (dance hall).
Assuming I need a 50mm 1.8 or 1.4

I realize that the Pentax has lower light high ISO performance. I have hard though that Nikon has better AF which is nice when trying to capture those fast moving objects.

2) Taking outdoor pictures of sports shots (such as disc golf, ultimate frisbee, etc.)

Someone told me the Nikon 70-200vr1 (or Vr2 if I can afford it) is what I would need for that. Not sure about pentax.

Per one of the other posters in one of the threads:

I owned two copies of the K-5, and had owned Pentax gear for almost 35 years. I switched to Nikon for its vastly superior AF system. So this is where I come from when I say the following -
If you want a camera with 70+ weather seals, get the K-5
If you want a camera with a far superior AF and exposure system - get the D7000
If you want a camera with a far superior flash system - get the D7000
If you want a camera with far more lens choices - get the D7000

If you want a camera / system with far better resale value (more people available / willing to buy your equipment) - get the D7000

If you want a camera / system that will give you confidence it will be there and supported in 5 years from now - get the D7000

If you want a camera with a superior UI - get the D7000 (Yes, I prefer it to Pentax's)

If you want your camera to be part of a system with superior lens stabilization - get the D7000 - VR smokes in-camera SR any day of the week - With the added benefit of not having your sensor sloshing around inside your camera.
If you want a camera with 70+ weather seals, get the K-5

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow