D7000...is high ISO performance really much better than D90?

Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
schaf
Contributing MemberPosts: 706
Like?
D7000...is high ISO performance really much better than D90?
Apr 13, 2012

I am currently using a D80 and contemplating a body upgrade. Other than a bit lacking in high ISO performance, the D80 does pretty much what I want. it has enough pixels for my needs, it is fast enough for what I want and I shoot only RAW so I don't care too much about the JPEG processing.

It seems the there was quite a step up in high ISO performance in the D90 and then again in the D7000. I am curious for those that have upgraded from a D90 to a D7000, did you really notice much difference in high ISO performance? Do you feel it was really an upgrade that was worth the cost (from D90 to D7000)?

I don't care about video. As I shoot only RAW I suspect many of the picture controls on the D7000 will be lost on me. About half of my lenses are the AF variety so I do need the screw drive motor. I don't have any of the older AI or AI-S lenses (but of course never say never) so at least for now I don't need the metering for them.

Where the D80 struggles for me are the typical indoor, non-flash, low-light shots. Even the AF-S DX 35mm F1.8G does not quite get it there. I have the AF 50mm F1.4D which certainly helps a lot...but of course the length on a DX body limits its use indoors.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Schaf

Nikon D7000 Nikon D80 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow