The EF 400 mm f/2.8 L mkI honors restored

Started Oct 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
jhal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,178Gear list
Like?
Re: The EF 400 mm f/2.8 L mkI honors restored
In reply to Russell M, Apr 13, 2012

Talking about safaris; I was in Kenya recently and I used my 400/2.8 with the 1.4TC ( MKIII) and been very very happy with the results even wide open.

It's heavy to carry and i was resting the lens on a bean bag all the time.

IMO the best compromise for weight and IQ is the 300/4 + 1.4TC + 1.6x crop body with loads of pixel for cropping

Russell M wrote:

Fabian628 wrote:

Looks liek both lenses did pretty well. Your conclusion that it is worth it to lug the 6kg is a bit questionable since both did pretty well, unless you need 2.8 the 300 is a good portable option since the IQ although not equal to the 400 is still pretty good. Did you use the Version I, II, or III teleconverts for this test?
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41942460@N04/sets/

I am in your space too... I have been heavily leaning towards purchasing the 300 F2.8 for an upcomming Safari and these tests help reinforce that plan. My main concern has really been AF acquisition with the Tele-converters more than image quality.

your comparison at F5.6+ for the 300+1.4 and the bare 400 it looks very close from an image quality perspective.

I have spent a lot of time @ the Digital Picture website comparing the image quality of the different combinations.

Russell

jhal's gear list:jhal's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow