Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Apotheker
Regular MemberPosts: 426
Like?
Profile comparison Colormunki versus ArgyllCMS
Apr 13, 2012

After weeks of struggling with the cryptic commands of ArgyllCMS I could optimize a workflow to produce a rather good profile with just a single sheet of A4.

Now the practical problem is to put as much colour patches on a single sheet of A4 and after experimenting I managed to compress 396 patches on a single sheet, without compromising on readibility by the Colormunki device (ruler required to align).

First I have to reduce the patch size and secondly I had to blow up the paper size a bit and use photoshop to remove the text on the right side of the columns and also use Photoshop to lower the row with the letters so I could later on compress the whole thing into a single sheet of A4. I think this is the maximum amount of patches, which can be read using the Colormunki.

This is the result after some manipulation of my simple profile target:

7 incremental steps in each RGB direction results in 7^3=343 patches

+ 48 composite grey steps + 3 white patches (to determine paper white) will give 396 patches in total, divided in 18 columns with 22 patches in each column.

Now below the result of my test on Netbit Glossy 270 gsm paper (Sold by Aldi Belgium) printed with OCP K3 pigment refill ink on my Epson Pro 3800 with refillable cartridges. Rendering intent: perceptual with black point compensation

Left side: Colormunki profile with 2 optimisations (including b&w neutralisation)
Right side: ArgyllCMS 396 patches single sheet profile

The Colormunki profile cannot be distributed due to license restrictions.....the ArgyllCMS produced profile can be given to anyone if I wish to do so...without violating the license agreements.

Now I think the ArgyllCMS single sheet profile is remarkedly good for a "simple printer profile".

-- hide signature --

Crazy about printing, profiling and refilling printer cartridges

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow