Trying to like the X pro1 but I can't

Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
mjl699
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to like the X pro1 but I can't
In reply to dacms, Apr 13, 2012

Hiya

I recognise all the things you are saying, but I have a different opinion / feeling about them:

1. I think the build quality is good - I like the fact that the camera is metal and light at the same time.

2. It does make noise, but its not actually loud and in the street, unnoticable.

3. Manual focus is hard!

4. AF is slowish but very very accurate. I have a Panasonic GX1 as well and it produces some nice shots - but focus is nowhere near as accurate, although much faster. Equally frustrating! The best thing I have ever used for AF is the Canon EOS 3 (old film camera, the equivalent at the time of the 5D) - very fast and pretty accurate even for moving babies at short range with low F numbers.

I think the price is OK for what it is. The IQ is amazing. I have a bunch of great shots from this camera. It isn't perfect though. It could have faster AF. And it does overexpose in bright light. And it would be nice if manual focus was easier to use (better geared and say, highlights). And I would like to see manual mode improved by using the exposure comp dial to do 1/3 increments of T (you can only adjust full stops in T).

Overall the best camera I have ever used, based on results, not on how easy it is or hard it is to get them. I happen to enjoy the experience as well, but only because I know the effort required is worth the outcome. I am not used to it yet though - I am a long time Canon DSLR user and I very attuned to the ergonomics of Canon. Used to having dials under the thumb to control either A or T, not to where these controls are on the XP1.

Best of luck with your next camera - always a difficult choice.

mjl599

mjl699's gear list:mjl699's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow