Full screen vs. pixel peep

Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Michael J Davis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,457Gear list
Like?
Some of us crop!
In reply to jpzundel, Apr 13, 2012

jpzundel wrote:

After years of looking for the best resolution, lenses, sensors, tripods...I did a quick sanity check with a simple calculation:

• the monitor screens we almost all watch our pictures on have at most 1200 lines which, with the usual aspect ratios (3/2 and 4/3), give us about 2M pixels for full screen pictures. Most of the time there is something else on the screen so we use much less than 2M pixels.

• so we admire our own and other people's great pictures downscaled to less than 2M pixels,

• unless we pixel peep, i.e look at less than the full picture.

Don't take me wrong, I am proud of a landscape I shot with no shaking which I can peep down to the pixel, and I do panoramas with multiple of these shots.

I delight in large prints - sharp and colourful at 18"+; but sometimes I can't get the result I want without cropping.

Coincidentally, I rediscovered this shot this morning (taken last July with My G1 + 45-200mm lens at 200mm full aperture) and prepared this at pixel level 1400x1050 for competition purposes. I'm delighted with the sharpness - for results, not merely pixel-peeping!!

Mike
--
Mike Davis
Photographing the public for over 50 years
http://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

Michael J Davis's gear list:Michael J Davis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow