Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jpzundel
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?
Full screen vs. pixel peep
Apr 13, 2012

After years of looking for the best resolution, lenses, sensors, tripods...I did a quick sanity check with a simple calculation:

• the monitor screens we almost all watch our pictures on have at most 1200 lines which, with the usual aspect ratios (3/2 and 4/3), give us about 2M pixels for full screen pictures. Most of the time there is something else on the screen so we use much less than 2M pixels.

• so we admire our own and other people's great pictures downscaled to less than 2M pixels,

• unless we pixel peep, i.e look at less than the full picture.

Don't take me wrong, I am proud of a landscape I shot with no shaking which I can peep down to the pixel, and I do panoramas with multiple of these shots.

But, while it is useful to have a more pixels for cropping, enlarging for posters and above, and to be comfortably below the Nyquist sampling limit of the pixels, let us remember that 99.xxx% of the time we look, judge and admire pictures downres'd at less than 2M pixel.

jpzundel's gear list:jpzundel's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-M1
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow