Never seen it so bad

Started Apr 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Douglas69
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?
Re: So have you figured out how to change it?
In reply to Craig, Apr 13, 2012

IF its taken you this long to discover there is something seriously wrong with the industry then you've done well. In 2009 I got 3 or 4 enquiries a week from my sites. I converted 2 per month into jobs.

I haven't had an enquiry this year from either of my sites. It's not just photographers either. I also publish a magazine. Several of my regular advertisers are doing it tough too. One Celebrant who could be called a leader in marketing and has consistantly had work for as long as I've known her, started getting cancellations. She isn't doing too well in the price stakes either.

Another person who owns a beautiful wedding chaple in really great garden settings noticed her clients were not bring photographers to their weddings early last year. My portrait business has fallen too. I'm not alone in the industry downturn.

I think the time has come for a close look at what is going on. It's digital cameras that have made everyone a good photographer for sure (LOL) but the days of getting $3k for a wedding shoot are only a memory now.

Too many people trying to sell too much for too little to to few buyers that is doing it. It takes me about 40 hours post shoot to process images and build an album. I can get $20 an hour as a security guard or cleaner. I dont need $15k worth of equipment to do that.

My advise to anyone asking for it has always been: If you don't make enough profit to be able to replace your equipment when new models arrive, you'll go broke as surely as sitting on the beach sipping pina colada... Which would you rather do?

Doug

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow