Are sports shooters happy about possible full frame D400?

Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gary stepic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,285Gear list
Like?
Are sports shooters happy about possible full frame D400?
Apr 13, 2012

I shoot a lot of sports but hope to do more landscape work and actually sell landscape prints. I am a Canon guy that is seriously thinking of switching back to Nikon. I have given this a lot of thought.

The 7D is really a nice sports camera and the Nikon D300 upgrade and Canon 7D upgrade may be a big factor. What disturbs me, and I have a feeling Canon will do the same thing, is the rumors of the upgrade being full frame. To me a camera that shoots 7 to 8 frames a second is a sports camera.

Going full frame means having to buy longer fast glass and you all know how very expensive this can be. With a 1.6 crop sensor and 70-200 I have had enough reach the vast majority of times. Shooting soccer is probably the only time I feel a longer lens is necessary.

I typically make between $1500 and $2000 a year shooting sports, some years less and some more. I cannot justify a D4 Nikon or any 1D Canon. I know a ton of other sports shooters that are in the same boat. I may keep my 7D and sell my 5DM2 (I always want to have two camera bodies) and could deal with using two systems, but prefer not to.

I could simply get a used D300s, not as much resolution as 7D but maybe the difference is not significant. I wonder if Nikon and Canon are going full frame for what I call the poor mans sports camera to sell more of the expensive bodies and lenses. Or maybe it does appeal to those just wanting one camera body that can be a decent do it all camera. Just curious how some of you sports shooters feel about full frame.

Gary
--
http://www.garystepicphotography.com

gary stepic's gear list:gary stepic's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony a6000 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-200 F4 +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D C Nikon D300 Nikon D300S Nikon D4 Nikon D40
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow