ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Eirik S
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
E-M5 pre-ordered, recommendations for legacy lenses
Apr 13, 2012

Hello,

I pre-ordered the E-M5 (+ kit) as soon as it was up for pre ordering in Norway, I have phoned Olympus, and they said it should arrive within a week or a-week-and-a-half.

Anyways, a couple of months ago I played with the thought of using old legacy lenses with my E-PL1. So while my brother was in the US I got him to pick up a few from Keh.com so I could try it out. I went for the OM Zuiko 35mm f2 Auto-W, 50mm f1,4 Auto-S, and 135mm f2,8 Auto-T. I made sure to order with the original adapter, as I positively hate things that are loose or rattles, I wanted it to be a tight fit, and the MF-2 is. I tried these lenses on the E-M5 last month during Olympus' demo at FotoVideo in Oslo, and I really liked how they handled, and the VF gave me enough details so that I could focus them without using the magnification.

After playing around with these for a month now, I have really learned to like manual focus, and I'm very pleased with the results I'm getting from them. This is why I'd like to expand my collection a little bit. There are a few focal lengths I'm interested in, mostly normal - telephoto range, as 35mm wide angles doesn't work all that well on mFT (aka, it's not really a wide angle anymore)

It has to be said, the OM Zuiko lenses seems to perform really well, and they are also very compact. That said, when I'm looking at prices at Keh.com for instance, they seem to be of the more expensive legacy options out there, not quite like Leica R, but more so than Canon FD, Nikon, Pentax etc... I briefly looked at the OM Zuiko 90mm f2 Auto-Macro, and 100mm f2 Auto-T, both of which are supposed to be among the gems of the OM-system, but they are much too expensive at almost $1000 each. And I'm still kicking myself for not buying one of the three (!!) 65-116 macro extension tubes they had in at Keh.com, just a couple of weeks ago, now they're all sold.

I'm therefore primarily interested in Canon FD, as that seems to be a nice "dead-end" system, with reasonably cheap lenses. I have been looking at three primes (zooms are a no go) 85mm f1,8, 135mm f2, and 200mm f2,8 IF. I'm also perhaps interested in a 300mm f4L, though it's twice as expensive as the non-L, is it worth it? When it comes to big telephoto lenses, I'm okay with that too. I tried handling an FD 500mm f4,5L on the E-M5 (no monopod, tripod, etc...) during the demo at FotoVideo in Oslo last month, worked fine with the full grip attached.

So, I'm looking for recommendations on which legacy lenses that are worth going for, also which adapters to use; should be metal and a tight fit. That said, I would be hesitant spending more than $500 on a single legacy lens, so nothing silly expensive please...

Eirik S's gear list:Eirik S's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +10 more
Olympus PEN E-PL1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow