Sad review of atomos ninja

Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Martin Grecner
Contributing MemberPosts: 518
Like?
Re: Sad review of atomos ninja
In reply to The Photo Ninja, Apr 13, 2012

I guess you are talking about the crushed blacks and blown whites.

I believe this is a problem of black level and white level calibration being different on the Ninja and D800.

Please, read this thread which talks about the same issue with Panasonic GH2:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/archive/index.php/t-237584-p-2.html

There is a nice technical explanation of the problem:

Standard range "legal" video decoded by standard matrix means Y' 16-235 => RGB 0,0,0 - 255,255,255 . Thus "black" is displayed at RGB 0,0,0 , white at RGB 255,255,255 . The black level in the video was Y'16 and white Y'235. Virtually all equipment is calibrated to display Y' 16 as black and Y'235 as white. If your video has set Y' 0 as black and Y' 255 as white it won't decode it properly because the wrong RGB conversion is performed (most equipment can't handle or dispaly full range video correctly). So your blacks will be crushed, and whites will be blown. In order to display full range video correctly, you need to decode with a full range matrix ie.. Y' [0,255] => RGB [0,255] . Very few equimpent or support full range, and of those that do, very few acknowledge the flags in a video stream (the switch has to be done manually). Flash is the only one I'm aware of that accepts full range flag in the video stream

I believe this is exactly what happens. D800 is sending out full 8 bit to preserve dynamic range, but Ninja makes all values below 16 black and all values above 235 white.

So, unless the Ninja can be set to record full 8-bit range, or D800 can be set to output in 16-235 levels format, it will not work well together.

The poster above says the only device capable of recording full range is Flash, he means the nanoFlash I believe.

Martin

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
PS3New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow