Is the EX1/TL500 OK for my tech-clumsy mother?

Started Apr 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?
Re: Is the EX1/TL500 OK for my tech-clumsy mother?
In reply to jj74e, Apr 13, 2012

Thanks for agreeing with me.

Bottom line, it can be used for great shots, but must be worked, sometimes intensely, in order to get them. Not for the novice, not for someone who just wants to point and shoot.

In this sense, I recommended Canon because their point and shoots are nearly without fail, no-brainers for IQ and ease of use, when desired.

jj74e wrote:

ennex10 wrote:

jj74e wrote:

It's nice of you go through this searching for her

I'm a near 60 woman and I have an EX1. Based on what you describe I agree with snake (I hope you're all sitting down!) and others who say no - I don't think this is the camera for her. I also have an NX10 and an old IXY Digital 10 I bought years ago in Tokyo which takes great snapshots. Horses for courses.

The lens cap will drive her nuts. I don't think she's going to carry it in her handbag like she probably does her Canon. If she does she will likely forget to turn the swivel screen and it will get scratched.

She uses her camera to takes snapshots and memories. Won't she want a popup flash? Given her interest in photography, please, please take her to a store and let her choose. How it feels in her hand is the most important factor. If you don't then you just both end up disappointed.

I have no problem if you agree with snake my problem is if you agree with his unnecessary accusations towards the OP himself, not his post.

But interesting points there- it seems you would relate to the OP's mom's potential problems with the EX1 the best. As has been said, the Canon S100 is a great alternative- compact, good Canon JPEGs, fast lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow