Wedding Photography

Started Apr 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
jackpro
Regular MemberPosts: 368Gear list
Like?
Re: Wedding Photography
In reply to William Woodruff, Apr 13, 2012

William Woodruff wrote:

When my sister-in-law asked me to shoot her wedding, I told her that I would be happy to shoot it in addition to a paid professional, but not as a substitute for a paid professional. First and foremost, this avoided the possibility that she might not like the results, in which case we would both regret it for the rest of out lives. Second, this elimintated the need for me to go out and rent or buy a long (and expensive) list of backup, or specialized equipment. I brought my 7D, 17-55, and a 70-200 f4. The 17-55 stayed on the camera the entire time -- what a brilliant lens!

The third advantage of insisting that they hire a pro was that I was able to actually be present for the wedding. Think about it -- if you are really working to get the best images, you can't really be a part of wedding. You are trying to anticipate, and move around unobtrusively, set up a shot and move again. In contrast, I was able to take a really good seat in the second row where, for many shots, I had a better vantage point that the pros could get, and I could stay there taking a considerable number of shots that would otherwise have been missed. At the same time, I could relax and really be a part of the family for the ceremony.

One other thing: I made it a point to meet the pro when he arrived. I told him that I was an amatuer, that I was not there to compete with him, and that while some folks in the family have enjoyed some of my images, I understand the difference between someone with no wedding experience (like myself), and someone who shoots weddings professionally (him and his assistant). I also let him know that I would try to stay out of his way, I would not poach his shots, and if he ever felt that I was interfering with him, he could quietly let me know, and I would make any necessary adjustments. He seemed to appreciate that, and we got along fine.
--
WLW

Good advice!

jackpro's gear list:jackpro's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow