Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Phil Goble
Forum MemberPosts: 75
Like?
D800 sensor cleaning questions
Apr 13, 2012

I was lucky enough to get a Nikon D800 a couple of weeks ago and have taken around 250 shots. I am checking everything out and getting familiar with the camera.  My last Nikon DSLR purchase was a D2x and the D800 seems pretty familiar. Live View and Video are certainly pluses for me.

I noticed a couple of spots on the sensor filter and assumed it was dust. My sensor brush, which was pretty much all I needed for the D2x, smeared oil all over the sensor when I attempted to clean it. I decided to have Authorized Photo Service in Morton Grove, Illinois clean it because my Eclipse was old, I didn’t have the right sized sensor swabs and I was getting ready to go on a photo trip this weekend and wanted to be sure there weren’t any problems. They did a good job, but I’ve got another oil spot already. I can easily fix the spot in Lightroom or Photoshop, but there is the possibility for more of the oil to build up during my two weeks of shooting.

I will be travelling to San Francisco and will buy some sensor swabs there. I could also buy Eclipse, but I’m not sure you can put that in your checked bags. I’ve got some questions for everyone.
1.       How do the premoistened swabs work?

2.       I would think I could bring any unused premoistened swabs back with me on the plane without problem. Is there any evidence otherwise?

3.       If I decided to have someone in San Francisco clean the sensor, is Calumet photo a good choice there?  Any other options that can do a good job while I wait or taking little time to do the job?

Nikon D2X Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow