Started Apr 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Maraya
Regular MemberPosts: 491
Like?
night photography focus questions
Apr 12, 2012

Recently I have been venturing out at night to capture the Aurora and also the downtown city lights of my hometown.
I have tried on both occasions to get good focus on my 24-70 lens.

on my Aurora capture night I tried to place the focus at infinity but the focus ring keeps moving so in the pitch dark it is very difficult to get a handle on your focus. The same would be true of the shot of downtown where there was a bit more ambient light but I still missed the focus a bit.

I have read in a magazine and on the net to try gaffer tape to set your lens once you have sharp focus at infinity during the day and then you should be good to go at night. I am worried that with the change in temperature especially for the night time Aurora shots that I will be still out of focus with the drop from focus in day time temps to nighttime temps.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I am hoping to try during the summer for night shots of the city with fireworks from the 100th anniversary of the Calgary Stampede in the background and would like them in focus. In the mean time I want to get a bit better at the night photography techniques as these are my first tries.
Barb

f3.5 48seconds ISO 800

ISO 800 4 seconds f5.6

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow