D800 focus stacking - a simple example & how to

Started Apr 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
John Croskell
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
Re: Focusing with a rail
In reply to Malcolm L, Apr 12, 2012

Thank you all for these illuminating replies. Both approaches seem to produce stunning results in the hands of each method's exponents. Perhaps I can be forgiven for thinking the jury is still out on this. I do understand that the adjust-focus method should/could produce ghosting because of the perspective-removal that is happening, compared to the macro-rail approach, but we read that HF/HR "scales" each slice to re-establish perspective. Not sure where this leaves us.

Maybe the answer to which approach is better depends on the scale - true macro or the semi-macro scale. There could be a big difference between (1) 20 slices at 0.1mm interval to catch a fly's eye, and (2) 20 slices at 2mm interval to photo a large orchid. Or maybe not?

I have a macro-rail which I have used in the semi-macro scale and stacked the images in PS5, so if I download a trial copy of Helicon's software, I could try the alternative focus-change approach.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow