Never seen it so bad

Started Apr 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
PenguinPhotoCo
Senior MemberPosts: 5,949Gear list
Like?
Re: Never seen it so bad
In reply to Biggs23, Apr 12, 2012

and the main grocers all stayed in business

May depend on your area. Here we've been losing population since 1984...consistently so.

When walmart came to town (2 supers, 9 miles apart, one was the biggest in the nation when it opened) I saw 5 grocery stores close. a big regional has been fighting, goiing upscale (selection, premium products, fancy interiors). It and another chain also go into the gas station business (buy food, get money off gas at the stations they own).

Change, yes, but it's like getting a second job as a photographer. If these places need to be in the gas biz to remain in the grocery biz they might as well just be in the gas biz and close the money losing grocery biz.

So that is change...but I want to be a photographer not a housepainter or teacher.

Gotcha. I wasn't aware that all the photographers I know making 100k+ were lying about it. I didn't know that they were also lying about 2011 being one of their most profitable years ever either. Glad you do know all that though, thanks for setting me straight.

Not everyone everywhere is down at the same time. "Success" , as viewed by outsiders, is mostly perception. I know a guy that has a housepainting biz as his income and does photography on the side. He's a great marketer. He's 'always busy' and always has a story about his latest greatest exploit. He wants to go full time. After 4 years at this he made the most ever last year, $18k. To hear him talk I would have thought it was 3 or 4 times that. Nope.

I have a friend that went into photography as his second career. I don't have his financials of course, but he says he's getting $3700/wedding and has 32 booked this year. $118k gross. But there are 2 of them (he has a partner), I know he does 4 $1000+ bridal shows and some smaller ones, mailings, has a marketing girl working for him and other misc expenses (he just paid $665 to PPA for their annual dues) What is he making as his income do you suppose? 75k after expenses? (prolly less) and then spilt that 2 ways...not that 35k is bad of course.

But I know a number of photogs that used to make $100k after all expenses, if not more. Now they're getting 1/2 of that if as much (they complain about doing 140 seniors when they did 350 4 years ago - math I can do and it tells me he's making way less than half).

-- hide signature --

Before everything else, getting ready is the secret of success. -Henry Ford

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow