lenses to start

Started Apr 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Tandaina
Contributing MemberPosts: 568
Like?
Re: lenses to start
In reply to helps, Apr 12, 2012

My advice will likely be different than others.

I'm a proponent of buy ONE really good lens to start. Use the heck out of it, learn the camera, then figure out what you want your next really good lens to be.

For the first 2 years I owned my Minolta 7D (first digital SLR) I owned ONE lens. The Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro. You'd be surprised what you can do with just one lens, and a prime at that.

A 50mm 1.4 is cheap, very good glass, and very versatile. The 90mm Tamron is also cheap, great glass, a little more niche.

Decide what you will shoot most. Portraits? (Get a prime, 90mm, 100mm, 85mm) Landscape? Macro? Then buy a GOOD lens that will suit your chosen subject best. Really master that lens, then move on to wherever your photography is taking you.

(I went from the 90mm macro shooting flowers to shooting landscapes and traveling and so bought some wider lenses.)

I prefer primes. They are optically the best bang for your buck quality wise. And there is just something about primes, I swear they make you a better photographer because they force you to THINK.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow