D90 settings for stage ballet

Started Apr 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
adhall
Regular MemberPosts: 287Gear list
Like?
Re: D90 settings for stage ballet
In reply to WhyteBalance, Apr 12, 2012

Here's an approach you may want to try, see the seven steps below. I find this works well if the lighting conditions remain relatively constant. This will most likely be the case if the stage lights are always turned up to the same level of brightness.

1. Set your camera mode to 'M'
2. Set your metering mode to 'spot'

3. Set your shutter speed to ~ 1/200 sec (or perhaps faster when subjects are moving fast)

4. Adjust your aperture / ISO values so that you are correctly exposing for the white outfits
5. Focus, frame, shoot

6. Check your histogram and ensure none of the highlights have blown out, zoom in and check for motion blur etc.

7. Repeat steps 5 & 6 adjusting shutter speed and aperture for your artistic preference...

Again, if stage brightness remains relatively constant, you'll find you only need to make minor variations to your shutter speed (I have mine set to the rear dial) and aperture (front dial) to get the correct exposure.

Best of luck, hope it goes well.
Andrew

adhall's gear list:adhall's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow