A used lens with decent bokeh for a Nikon D40X?

Started Apr 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Stefan Carey
Contributing MemberPosts: 807
A used lens with decent bokeh for a Nikon D40X?
Apr 12, 2012

G'day Nikonians;

Our daughter is starting a business making and selling bridal headwear and accessories here in Melbourne, Australia, and wants to photograph her products and publish the photos online. So I am looking for suggestions for lenses of around $100, with good bokeh. (A used lens is OK and obviously the only choice with this kind of budget. I am also probably way off here on price as I know nothing about used-Nikon lens prices).

She owns a fine Nikon D40X, and wants a lens with decent bokeh characteristics. She has seen the bokeh I can produce with my 55mm 1.4 & 50mm 1.7 and knows that she wants that effect.

She is not a technical expert and so would not be able to use an older manual lens as I can on my camera, even if this is an option.

The gap in my understanding is lens compatibility. I have no idea on which lenses will work on a Nikon D40X and have a feeling not every lens will work on every Nikon camera, so I need to be careful.

I guess the other options is for her to use software such as Picasa to blur out the background, but I thought I should ask the question anyway, partly because I find it is always fun to research lenses.

All suggestions appreciated.

-- hide signature --

The image is more important than the equipment.

Nikon D40X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow