Autobracketed series - which one to chose for sky?

Started Apr 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
tony brown
Senior MemberPosts: 2,842Gear list
Like?
Re: Autobracketed series - which one to chose for sky?
In reply to DirkL, Apr 12, 2012

DirkL wrote:

tony brown wrote:

c). You will not need to brighten the image to get sky details and will therefore not enhance the noise level.

The file you need for most noiseless quality, is the most exposed that just doesn't blow the sky levels to white.

Sorry, but I do not really understand your answer. Isn't the most exposed file
best then?

Not really. It depends how bright the sky is. It might be hazy sun or even overcast in which case it may need little less exposure than the rest of the image.

Use the darkest image that JUST doesn't clip the sky highlights. then there's no need to raise the exposure in PP to get the sky details back (thus introducing a little unnecessary noise). This wouldn't always be the least exposed image but often would be. It depends how accurately the base exposure was calculated and then what the peak brightness to exposure calculated base brightness ratios are.

However, when bracketing exposures, you are overcoming the need for such elaborate considerations, removing the need for such precision (even if your camera could do exactly what you required).

Just choose the best for your sky requirements i.e. with as little need for upping the exposure later. The latter, as you clearly have experienced, is how to introduce additional noise. I am sure you can see in PP which is best just by inspection.

Cheers, Tony.

tony brown's gear list:tony brown's gear list
Sony Alpha 7S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow