Started Apr 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
weavster
Contributing MemberPosts: 913Gear list
Like?
The touch screen- why was it left off the 7
Apr 12, 2012

Recently I've responded to threads about focusing and 5 vs 5n, this has made me really consider the functionality of the touch screen. Having started without it and then having grown to love it post 5N, the more I think about it, the more indispensable it seems:

1. use with manual lenses - select the part of the image to enlarge - this is incredibly useful with portrait shots wide open, where tapping on the eyes doesn't then require a clumsy re-frame.
2. For DMF with the e50 at wide f, again very similar to above.

3. Video and stills with a very mobile subject, especially with a shallow plane of focus, just tap the target and let AF lock on like a heat seeking missile. Yes a touch screen is not essential for this, but it is so much easier just to tap the target.

Until I'd experienced it, I didn't realize what a glorious feature it is, so much so that if I was offered a straight swap for a Nex7, I would have to think long and hard. I suppose most nex7 don't know what they are missing if they never owned a 5n, but I am baffled as to why such a low cost but versatile feature was left off the 7. Was it a design oversight, or is it incompatible with the EVF?

weavster's gear list:weavster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3
Pentax Optio E50 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow