Star trails c&c welcome plus a quick question.

Started Apr 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lewynn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,208
Like?
Star trails c&c welcome plus a quick question.
Apr 12, 2012

I went out last night to try and get some star trails. The first one was about 3 minutes and the second about 8 minutes.

It was still a little early for the first one so it got kind of bright. The two bright trails are actually planets I believe, not sure which ones though. Jupiter or saturn or something. Any of you astronomy guys would probably know. I'm in Utah looking west. I'm on my front porch......

This one I took in the back yard again looking west. The bright trail on the lower right of the image is the same one as the bright one at the bottom of the first picture and the three trails in line to the right of the tree are Orions Belt.

I have the 450D, I'm wondering if there is a limit on how long you can leave the shutter open to do stars trails? I have a release that I lock open and just leave it. It was kind of windy so that's why the trees are blurry.

Will I burn the sensor if I leave the shutter open too long? If so, what's too long?

Thanks a bundle and feel free to c&c all you want.

Canon EOS 450D (EOS Rebel XSi / EOS Kiss X2)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow