Started Apr 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
aidan obsidian
Regular MemberPosts: 252
Like?
A fully manual dslr?
Apr 12, 2012

I have a few old film cameras and was thinking...If the film plate was removed and a sensor was placed at the same plane/registration distance it could make for an attractive camera.

I don't know what type of quality images you could get out of it if you ever made it yourself or the likelihood of it ever being manufactured, but there seems to be enough space to fit in the components to make it possible within existing manual slr's (especially if designed to fit into the film compartment). Of course SR would have to go most likely, but with old fast lenses and the high ISO of FF, and the option of a tripod, it would still be just as versatile. You could keep the old needle metering and get the necessary circuitry to process and store the image. Everything else on the camera would remain manual for adjusting the shutter speed and aperture, and the iso dial could could be hooked up to a switch to adjust the ISO as you would with film. There would be no screen to prevent the need for more power consumption and all the required space that comes with it.

I know I would love a FF digital that's fully manual. With no screen you would have to wait until you got home to view the images. For simplicity the wb and other non exposure related settings would be controlled in post. I really like the form of old manual slr's. Since there is no lcd or automated controls the power consumption should be quite low, and able to have better battery life. Of course it wouldn't suit every shooting style, especially those where AF is needed, but personally I would find it ideal.

Now, this doesn't seem to realistic to construct ourselves unless you have related expertise. It would be difficult to calibrate, but if it was ever working..Perhaps the best way to go about it would be to fit in a sensor and the circuitry from an existing camera. Also, how awesome would a conversion kit be with all the electronics built into a component the same size as a roll of film, with a single wire to connect to the sensor and some shims to place and secure the sensor. FF digital for all who want it, and using existing cameras the kit could be quite a bit cheaper than other options out there.

This was more just thinking aloud, would anyone want one? or has had a similar thought or know of any existing film to digital conversions?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow