New CX or?

Started Apr 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 16,606
Like?
Re: New CX or?
In reply to Chris Dennehy, Apr 11, 2012

Chris Dennehy wrote:

And I didn't go for the GXR because I could see myself ending up with another boot full of lenses and in the same quandary as with the DSLR.
--
CD

Chris in the very early days of the GXR I wondered out aloud on whether there was any merit in seeing this camera + module as each a separate camera. However it can equally be treated as one camera + "lenses" that you cart about and change frequently.

However the P10 module is none other than a larger bodied maxi-CX with full PASM and raw capability that actually packs itself down fairly compactly for travel purposes. The extra features carried by the GXR back make it a powerful point'n'shoot indeed. My herself is taking it with her on an upcoming trip and I get to borrow the GXR back when it gets relegated to a drawer when not travelling. Seems great. One set of spare batteries and one charger serves all.

The GXR + P10 module seems to be currently selling in some places at about the cost of a bare camera back.

Meanwhile back to the concept of multiple cameras - it will work when they are indeed multiple camera bodies + lens modules. But also the lens modules are cunningly designed so that they seem to group specific purposes - wide; normal+macro and now three zooms at your pleasure - each of which probably excludes the others. Seems hardly likely that someone might need all three.

Therefore there is a good chance that you only take one camera + suitable module when heading off. No need to take the car boot.

However the GXR + A12 mount module is something else. With the ideal setup you might just have a small collection of expensive RF lenses. Not too big a burden, just a small bag. On the other hand get a collection of M42 lenses as well and you end up switching lens and adapter, gets complicated, but I am working on it - I just get a bigger car boot - smile. So as an expedient more than one back and M mount and leave adapters fixed. Trying it anyway - if you don't hear from me I have gone quite mad ... (as many have already suspected).

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow