Instead of 24-70

Started Apr 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Pierre from Sweden
Regular MemberPosts: 102Gear list
Like?
Re: Instead of 24-70
In reply to joejack951, Apr 11, 2012

It depends on many things.

Do you have or plan to get a 70-200/2.8 ? If yes, you already have a 70mm.

Bu you really don't need to cover all FLs

Essentially 35 and / or 50 is all you need for most of the time. Small, cheap light and very good IQ.

Having more lenses only slows you down, cost money and kills the fun out of your photography having to lugging around to much gear.

That said, the 24-70 is a perfect all in one zoom only a bit large and heavy. Perfect for reporters and pros that have to nail the photo to get bread on the table.

I just sold all my Canon DSLR gear and bought a Leica M9-P with two main lenses 50mm and 35mm, one wide 21mm and one tele 90mm.

I will use the 35 for most reporter style storytelling pics ie one subject and a background or a multiple subjects like a small group of people.

The 50 is deal for photographing one subject at a time. The 50 brings home the best pics of all lenses as it forces me to cut out the irrelevant crap that often destroys a good pic and only concentrate on my subject.

The 21 is for architecture, cramped places and landscape.
The 90 is for reach and portraits.

For fast action and more reach I will get a Nikkor 70-200/2.8

Good luck
Pierre

Pierre from Sweden's gear list:Pierre from Sweden's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 6D Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow