E-M5: Base ISO comparison (vs. D5100, GH2, G3)

Started Apr 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 4,226
Like?
E-M5: Base ISO comparison (vs. D5100, GH2, G3)
Apr 11, 2012

Since this gets too easily lost in another thread I rather start a new one. (To those who already saw my other post: the following images are the same as in my other post except for the G3 ones, where I pulled brightness slightly back by -5 to better match the others.)

This is a shadow detail comparison of DPR raw files via RawTherapee at base ISO, no NR, no sharpening, manual lifting of shadows inside the grey box to visually match each other as close as possible. All images have "Black" set to -16384 (to lift shadows), shadow recovery, brightness and contrast vary by image (see below)

D5100 for reference of how much shadow detail is present in the scene. Shadow recovery 100, Brightness 90, Contrast 100.

E-M5. Shadow recovery 0, Brightness 100, Contrast 50.

GH2. Shadow recovery 0, Brightness 100, Contrast 75.

G3. Shadow recovery 100, Brightness 85, Contrast 100.

My conclusion: At base ISO the E-M5 looks close to the GH2, both show more detail with less noise than the G3, but worse than the D5100. After this comparison I don't worry too much about any possible black-level clipping of the E-M5. Nothing in there suggest that the E-M5's raws are pre-cooked any more or less than the others either.

Here the whole images after pushing levels to lift shadows, with highlight clipping (level 253) turned on. Obviously not trying to get proper overall exposure, but still interesting how images turned out for each camera's raw.

D5100

E-M5

GH2

G3

Nikon D5100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow