Is the EX1/TL500 OK for my tech-clumsy mother?

Started Apr 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
jj74e
Senior MemberPosts: 1,633
Like?
Re: Is the EX1/TL500 OK for my tech-clumsy mother?
In reply to geroyche, Apr 11, 2012

The EX1 would be perfectly fine in auto mode. Certainly, Samsung's auto/JPEG renditions aren't the best, but they're perfectly fine for someone who isn't a pro photog anyway.

I don't think the EX1 is overly complicated- as you said, many people use DSLRs on full auto, and conversely, many point and shoots feature more physical controls and manual controls anyway.

Yes, the EX1 has some menu quirks and isn't the smoothest operator, but does that matter in light of your mom's skill level? Will she be using the menu often, if at all?

I don't think menu familiarity will be that big a deal to get a Canon because of it- after all, again, if she's not good with technology, likely she will rarely dive into the menu, if ever.

I think if you want a P&S swivel screen, the EX1 is your best choice- plus, it can be had for very cheap these days.

Perhaps though, she might fancy a pocket travelzoom camera like the recent Canon models (i believe their model line is SX or something). Although, if she will be taking many indoor shots, a fast aperture model like the EX1 would be better.

Based on what you describe, the EX1 seems to be a great fit. She'll probably have fun with the articulated screen, and while Canon's G12 or S100 might be better IQ/Auto wise, I can understand if your mom wants something more "interesting" than the S100- and the G12 is more expensive, and yes, most people generally agree the optical viewfinder is useless- not to mention, it has even more dials and whatnot for your mom to be confused by.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow