Started Apr 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FlossTycoon
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,904
Like?
S1, S2, S3, S5 Wednesday thread, 2012.04.11
Apr 11, 2012

I have been inspired by all of the nice flower photos from the last couple of weeks here in the Wednesday thread. Spring is slower to come to northern climes so there is not the variety of flowers to chose from in my neighborhood. There is, however, a pair of crocus flowers in my flower bed I have been keeping an eye on the last few days.

All are S5 images, hand held with elbows braced on the ground with the 24mm-120mm f4 VR in use. Shutter speeds go from 1/350 to 1/20 depending upon the light with the VR enabled. Apertures were around f9.5 to f 13 to try to keep both flowers acceptably sharp.

The first image is from Thursday, April 05, an early warm day. The front flower is in full bloom but the rear is a little slower opening up.

Oooh, Friday is about a 40 F day with clouds instead of blue skies. Both flowers stay closed up all day long. There is no reason to open the petals when there is no sun to worship.

Saturday is another warm sunny day and in the morning the flowers pick up where they left off on Thursday. The warm sun coaxes the rear blossom into bloom by early afternoon. As the sun falls below the western horizon the crocus flowers close up again for a night's sleep. Tomorrow is another day.

Sunday is Easter and both flowers rise to the occasion, Perhaps Spring is really here in Montana. It is for these flowers. I have seen dafodils around town and the lilacs are starting to bud out. There will be more to enjoy in the coming times.

I guess crocus flowers are brainless plants but they know when to open and when to close down tightly. I cannot call them stupid.

-- hide signature --

Alan, in Montana

Casio Exilim EX-S5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-S2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-S3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AlanNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
HuyNew
TomNew
BobNew
HuyNew
TonyNew
HuyNew
TomNew
MarkNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
HuyNew
HuyNew
HuyNew
AlanNew
BobNew
MarkNew
BPKNew
TomNew
AlanNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow