Talk me out of upgrading 5D to D800 please...

Started Apr 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Press Correspondent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,342Gear list
Like?
Talk me out of upgrading 5D to D800 please...
Apr 11, 2012

I have the original 5D that I am growing unhappy with for constant unmotivated dust, lack of live view for precise manual focusing, and lack of resolution for landscapes. Time to upgrade, but the budget cannot exceed $3.5k for the body. I consider 4 options:

1. 5D3 - impressive specs, but questionable value and marginal resolution

2. D800 - I would have to sell my lenses and figure out what to replace them with

3. Second hand pro body - which and why?

4. Wait - but not longer than a few months

I shoot mostly landscapes, some family portraits, a bit of wildlife, occasional macro, all for pleasure, not for living. High ISO is a plus, but is not as critical as DR and resolution. I also use Zeiss manual focus lenses for the 3D-pop effect and better color. However, 5D2 is not an option, as to me the new AF in 5D3 is still well worth the price difference.

Out of the above options, D800 looks more and more attractive to me. I only have 5 lenses, under $4k total. A bit of a hassle to replace, but doable. I would stay loyal to Canon, perhaps even at $4k, if 5D3 could match the DR and resolution of the new Sony sensor in D800. But it does not. So, if I am to spend $3k+ anyway, then why not jump right to D800?

I used to have Mamiya 7 and getting back to the MF type of resolution with D800 just feels thrilling... Other than the finance and trouble of switching systems, what arguments should I consider against switching to Nikin after a decade of Canon?

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow