Help, Newbie to DSLR, Step by step to test my 15-85

Started Apr 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Oly Canikon
Contributing MemberPosts: 978
Like?
Re: Help, Newbie to DSLR, Step by step to test my 15-85
In reply to Wellcraft, Apr 11, 2012

Hi
In spite of what you read it would be very unusual to get a bad copy.

The most likely problem would be what is called de-centering. You can test for that by taking a picture of a flat surface like a brick wall. The camera has to be square to the wall ie. not at an angle. De-centering will manifest as one corner or side out of focus while the center and other side are in focus.

Wellcraft wrote:

Hi guys and gals, I finally got my new 60d with a 15-85 lens and a 70-300. I'm very new to all this stuff and have no idea how to test my copy, I had a P&S but wanted to go with something much better.

Before purchasing everything I asked a lot in this forum and most members suggested this lens. i read that there was a lot of owners getting bad copies, but I decided to give it a try anyway.

Now, my question is, is there any step by step instruction on how to test this lens?

I've heard allot about stops, F stops (f-6.5 etc) and I have no idea what people are talking about and I don't even know if this is something that can be adjusted while taking a picture.

So I need someone to guide me as I was a huge moron and an ignorant, which I am right now.

I just finished the 3rd chapter on the owners manual but haven't seen anything about this.

All help will be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow