Started Apr 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 17,573
Like?
The GXR-M - not ignored, well, not quite
Apr 10, 2012

There is a very good well thought out first look at the Fujifilm X-Pro1 on the site.

Compared as a possible cheaper alternative to the Leica M9P it goes as far as comparing images, weights and quality of fittings. One might have thought that making a camera unit in the form of the A12 mount module that was optimised for Leica M mount lenses and also already having a body tht was compact and also had Leica RF shape allusions was worth a mention/comparison.

Seems a very fair review with good coverage. Better than trying one for myself. One might have thought that the Ricoh GXR A12 M mount model might have also made the cut as another "standout mirrorless model" in a comparison. Especially as the GXR-M does have its own Leica style connections with particular connection/optimisation to the Leica M bayonet mount. Perhaps a three-way comparison image including the GXR M mount version would have been also interesting. But then I am not in a position to properly judge. At least Ricoh merits a mention with it's contrast peaking focus assist feature (alongside the Sony).

The standout mirrorless models referred to are the Sony NEX7 and the Olympus OM-D E-M5 models but in the context of their built in evf units.

Maybe if the GXR had a built in evf or a "like-enough" semi-permanent flush fitting evf that could be fitted it might be noticed as being another standout mirrorless model.

But I guess Ricoh is just flying under the radar. If sales numbers disqualified it from mention then I guess this factor would also disqualify the Leica M9P as being held up as the aspirational example.

Certainly the X-Pro1 seems a good camera but if its quirks and problems and no-lenses just for now (and will always be focus-fly by wire) are anything to go by then I am very happy with my so-secret, well thought out, highly usable, and relatively trouble free Ricoh GXR-M, even though it doesn't have a trick viewfinder.

It seems that manufacturing cost pressures are going to make lenses of the future all electronic fly by wire. Now, I am sure that they will work well enough and Ricoh has long gone that way itself. However I am a trad-mechanical-focus ring man just as much as others like a real-life ovf. I am so very glad that I can still fit mechanical focus lenses to my Ricoh. But perhaps electronic fly by wire might lead to better feel and variable gearing depending upon rotational force - even this old curmudgeon could get interested.

Oh, and Ricoh's small mention as being into contrast detect focus peaking was interesting - just a slap of the thigh really. Focus peaking and it's resulting weirdo screens must be the exact anathema to Fuji's trick hybrid viewfinder. Imagine having that great big bright viewfinder and overlaying it with Mode2 focus peaking - I am rolling all over the floor with hilarity.

100 more points for Ricoh for actually daring to swim against the tide.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow