Wide Lenses.. What will teach me more about taking photographs?

Started Apr 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chris_C2000
Regular MemberPosts: 149
Like?
Wide Lenses.. What will teach me more about taking photographs?
Apr 10, 2012

This might go on a bit so bear with me!

I've been a very lucky guy.. My boss is sending me on a 7 week trip to Malaysia, and then the Inland Revenue are kind enough to send me a completely unexpected cheque for £500

Now 250 of that is going on an underwater compact.. I'm going snorkeling for the first time ever and I want to have memories of that even if they are horrible and blurry!

I'll be taking my 550D + 18-55mm Kit, 50mm F1.8 and 105mm Macro lens with me.

The question.. What will teach me more about taking photographs, composition and getting a good shot? I'm going to be spending 6 weeks of evenings and weekends in Kuala Lumpur.. I'm currently torn between the

1). Samyang 14mm

2). Tamron 10-24mm/Sigma 10-22mm (both around the same price as the Samyang (£250) second hand.

Each have advantages that I've read (Samyang Sharper, zoom range for more variation on #2 but softer. I cant afford to go up to the Tokina 11-16mm.

I'm leaning towards the 14mm due to the reported sharpness but would being forced to look at these shots through a 14mm Lens teach me more? Or will it restrict me and I'll not learn as much? Will I regret the softness of the images taken on this once in a lifetime trip if I buy the cheaper, softer lens and learn what I can with the sharpest lens I can afford?

Some examples of my previous shots (Either taken with standard lens or with a hired canon 10-22mm) so you can see what I like

Thanks to anyone that got this far! All thoughts and experiences welcome
--
Chris
------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drippy2009/

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow