Lens kit preparing for move to FF

Started Apr 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
kjbkix
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens kit preparing for move to FF
In reply to filmluvr, Apr 10, 2012

I think I'd keep the 15-85 for sure and use the Rebel for walkaround, vacations, etc. No need for the 5D there. The 17-40 is tempting though, that's one I would consider for sure.

filmluvr wrote:

I shoot a 5D but would love to add a small crop body, just for street photography. The 60mm or 100mm f/2 on a Rebel would be a very unobtrusive system for quality street work. About the walkaround, your only choices in the general range of the 15-85mm will be the 24-105mm and 28-135mm. The 28-135mm is not very sharp on a crop body, but it's excellent on FF. That's what I use, along with the 17-40mm for wider work. Those two lenses probably cover about 80% of what I shoot.

kjbkix wrote:

I currently have a 7D and T2i (550D) with the following lenses:
Canon: 24L II, 15-85, 100 2.8 macro, 100-300
Sigma: 8-16, 50 1.4, 70-200 2.8 OS, 1.4x TC

Needless to say, I'm really set with the current kit on crops. My buddy currently shoots with a 5D2 but is upgrading to a 5D3. He was interested in switching with me, taking the 7D as a backup to do 60p filming and for the crop allowing longer ranges. If we do the swap I'll also get the benefit of a FF/Crop combo, though I would greatly miss the 7D for it's burst rates and wireless flash. Oh well, I can always get a pocket wizard.

Anyway, I figured this change should force a review of my current setup. The only hole I see is that the walkaround zoom would need to remain on the T2i, which kinda makes sense and fits well with the light weight of that body. I'd only have the 50 prime for normal on FF. At the long end, I'd still have the option for equivalent 448mm setup with the 70-200 + 1.4x on the crop.

So if it were you,
A) Would you take the swap at all? and

B) Do you notice any gaps or improvements that I could make given the new FF body? i.e. change 15-85 to 24-105, etc.

kjbkix's gear list:kjbkix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow